DIY Vape 101: The Chemistry Of A Vape Juice Recipe

DIY Vape 101: The Chemistry Of A Vape Juice Recipe

It is now very obvious to vapers everywhere about the possibility of personalized vape experiences in the form of personalized vape juices. While commercial manufacturers strive to constantly come up with fresh ejuice profiles in an effort to make sure there is never a boring moment for any vaper, it is still obvious of the many spaces that DIY vape can and has begun to already fill. Afterall, even with the abundance of ejuice profiles, there are still individual differences that end up cancelling out the varieties.

Even as a beginner in vaping, it is very possible for you to create your own diy vape juice recipe once you understand all the itty bitty aspects of ejuice that makes it what it is. Vape juice is a combination of chemicals, meaning that you are going to be doing some practical and interesting vape chemistry if you will be making vape juice for yourself.  

There are tons of reasons why you should, and why you can create your own diy vape juice. If you have vaped for a while, you may have gone to restock and you end up finding your ideal flavor profile but in a VG/PG base or nicotine concentration that does not suit your preference. If you are relatively new to vaping, chances are that you do not know much about any of the ingredients and as a result, when you are buying ejuice, you don’t really know what you may like or not like. 

Making vape juice yourself is not a herculean task. A little research and practice and you can easily be on your way to mixing vape juice like the professionals. Just before we talk about the chemistry of making a vape juice recipe, there are a few things to learn.

What Is A Vape Juice Recipe?

Vape juice goes by different names; ejuice, eliquid, vape liquid, and many more. The names do not affect anything as they all refer to the same thing. Vape juice itself is made up of four key ingredients, even your favorite commercial brands use the same constituents. The four key ingredients are responsible for every characteristic of the vape juice as to whether or not it will suit your preferences. The four key ingredients are:

DIY Vape 101: The Chemistry Of A Vape Juice Recipe
  • Vegetable glycerin (VG) 
  • Propylene glycol (PG)
  • Flavoring 
  • Nicotine 

The mixture of vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG) form about 90% of the vape juice mixture because they act as the base of the vape juice which, in essence, is the medium to vaporize the other ingredients. The remaining 10% is composed of the mixture of nicotine and flavoring.

A vape juice recipe is a combination of all these ingredients, and the differences in the ratio of vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG), flavor profiles, and nicotine strengths is what makes one vape juice recipe different from another. Which is why some vape juices tend to suit you while some others do not.

The Chemistry Of A Vape Juice Recipe

You now know the ingredients that make up a vape juice recipe, it’s time to understand their chemistry by knowing what they are and exactly how they affect the vape juice recipe. Understanding the chemistry behind each ingredient will make you be able to use them to your advantage when making your own diy vape juice recipe.

DIY Vape 101: The Chemistry Of A Vape Juice Recipe
  1. Vegetable Glycerin (VG): Vegetable glycerin is a natural liquid extracted from vegetables. VG is an odorless and viscous liquid. It is used in vape juice to make it thicker, which inturn increases the amount of dense vapor the ejuice can produce.
  2. Propylene Glycol (PG): Propylene glycol is a chemical compound that is used in vape juice to carry the flavor, and to facilitate smooth throat hit.
  3. Flavoring: particularly high-temperature flavoring designed for vape juice. Flavoring is used to add the unique and flavorful experience associated with vaping. There are tons of manufacturers that make safe and healthy flavoring designed for vaping, a good example is flavorah.
  4. Nicotine: Nicotine is the addictive part of vaping. Nicotine itself is the chemical added to vape juice that gives it a similitude of traditional cigarettes in terms of the throat hit.

Leave a Reply

Lost Password

Sign Up